Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Difficult Beginnings Make the Stronger Person


My first day of school was pretty terrible. Apparently all I needed was to be “new” in order to receive the full “new kid treatment” – being tall, blond, and a foreigner combined to be the cherry on top. The French are private people anyways, but I was still surprised by the level of distrust. I tried to talk to some classmates but that was a complete fail so I was alone the entire day. I was even snickered at by half the class after I gave the wrong response to the teacher’s question! Nonetheless, I was glad that I decided to stay after class to talk to my teacher who gave me her number if I needed anything. My host dad was also very kind and told me, <<petit à petit>> or “gradually” on our way back home. And mom, I saw a yellow slug bug along the way and I’m taking that as a good sign for a better future…

When we arrived, I went over to my neighbor’s house (where I had the sleepover) and was warmly received – just what I needed after a stressful day! It’s a family of four including my friend, Emma, her younger brother, Théo, and their parents. Emma’s mom offered me a “shmooshie” or at least that’s what I think they call smoothies and we helped Théo build some things out of blocks, even the Eiffel Tower (which he dubbed the “Théo Tower). They are so kind! I joked around with them, speaking a little English and having them try to say, “purple squirrels” – the French can’t do it!!! It’s hilarious but all in good fun J. Among numerous BD’s, movies, and magazines (bandes dessinées, or comics) I was offered my first macaroon. Two words: delicious. Pistachio. We also talked about Thanksgiving and we’ve decided that my they will join my host family and I to celebrate! Their kindness was much appreciated and now I have a few things to look forward to, including possibly an opera on the 25th of November.

Even after being calmed down by some friends (thank you so much by the way!!!!!), I went to bed with the shivers and woke up only to get sick to my stomach due to the stress of everything. I still went to school, though! And let me tell you, it wasn’t perfect, I don’t have any “friends,” but I have made some acquaintances that I will be making a beeline to tomorrow.

When I understand my schedule a little better, I will show you the craziness of it all. There are “every-other-day” days, “group A/B” days, and “nine-hour-long” days. I think I need to bring some tape with me to class tomorrow to keep my eyes open, because although I understand nearly everything, it takes SO much energy to concentrate! It’ll look something like this:
Mr. Bean...

I also take the bus to and from school with Emma so I’m not completely a loner. There are two things I should mention about the bus: 1. They don’t have yellow school buses, of course, instead they are beautiful, glorious coach buses! 2. I have no idea what my bus driver’s name is, but she resembles the bus driver in “Forrest Gump” and I have a gut feeling that if she were American, her name would be Madge.

After school, Emma and I headed towards the bus where I had to step around Madge who was nursing a cig like it was her last. I noticed that her two young boys were along for the ride in the front and whenever one of them would try to stand up she’d turn around to scold them. But she’d also look back every few seconds and smile at them; Madge doesn’t cover up her soft side easily. One more thing about Madge, I swear I wasn’t creeping I was just bored. One boy stood up before it was time to get off the bus and Madge stepped on the breaks just to joke around and gave him a sly glance in the mirror. That was the best – I think Madge and I will get along just fine, even if she doesn’t know it.

Until next time,
Bisous,
Maggie


1 comment:

  1. A yellow slug bug! That's awesome Maggie. And of course you will make friends, especially when they start to get to know you. Hey maybe try some bribes with American candy :) I shared some Skittles and Starbursts with some tomodachi (friends) and they loved it.
    So jealous of you being able to understand almost everything in class. I try but I only get a couple of words here and there or a broad topic. It is hard not to zone out in class when it is so easy to zone because you understand nothing! I know I come home and basically go straight to bed. So again, super jealous and I am sure you will soon adjust and not have to concentrate so hard.
    Also, speaking of Forest Gump, remember this? http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4593175633879&set=a.4593163033564.191791.1426807619&type=3&theater
    As always, lots of love!
    Kiana

    ReplyDelete