Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Bonjour" is the French Word for "Good Day"


Before all the mushy, gushy, happy, WONDERFUL stories are finally inked somewhere, I have a brief Madge update. For those of you who didn’t read my last blog that was a smart move (bad day…). However, you missed out on some great pictures and I introduced my bus driver whom I have decided would have had the name “Madge” if she were American. Those who know me when I’m about to go berserk from lack of sleep know that naming things is a common side effect.

Today Madge was late, but because I adore her and due to the fact that I don’t have the same worries that I used to have, I didn’t mind. At one point when she dropped some kids off at their bus stop she smacked her gum and said, <<aaaaaah dehmaaaaahn *smack, smack* oooohhhhh revwaaaarrr *smacckkkkkk*>> (see you tomorrow, goodbye – but in my Madge voice). I’m seriously considering taking a picture with her at the end of the year… I think she’s pretty cool because she’s so chill unlike many French people who are just all “fork in one hand, knife in the other – use em’ … or look like a dorky exchange student” haha just kidding, I love the French.

People have finally realized I’m not leaving and that I’m going to come right up to them to talk, so many have put away their I’m-curious-why-you-look-so-different-and-have-an-accent-but-there’s-no-way-I’m-showing-it glances. There are now several people I can go up to and just talk to, and I’ve gotten over myself, in short. I decided that no one knows me from before (which can be annoying) and if I want to have a good time, why not introduce myself or ask for help just to meet everyone? I felt stupid in the beginning just because I can hear myself in French saying, “Hi! My name’s Maggie and I’m the American foreign exchange student, what’s yours?” Well, hello, perky! Non-Barbie conversation will come soon.

Today I had geography, French, Spanish – ha!, math, English – ahhhhh yeah, and gym. (Really brief cut-in but I just spoke with my host mom and had no idea I just spoke French. That was cool. I also blubbered in French to one of my friends at school and she just stared at me for the longest time because she was impressed with my French and could completely understand me J ) ANYWAYS, here are some mini stories, enjoy:

My homework for French class is to write about a page on the life and works of Shakespeare. Mrs. Mucha, if you’re reading this, I am giving you a GIANT hug and a thank you. Been there, done that – two years ago… I told my French teacher that I’ve read Hamlet and know Macbeth a little and she seemed pretty pleased, explaining she has a “fetish” for Hamlet! Haha!

In Spanish, the teacher basically said “mañyana” and that was it. This might be pretty awesome because I basically know “taco, hola, yo no hablo Española,” and “enchilada.” Seriously.

Math was actually the first class that I was completely comfortable in, probably because it’s a universal language and maybe because I learned about hyperbole’s in middle school. I was one of the last people in the class and one of the only places left was next to this guy. His friends, whom I realized had the area completely surrounded, immediately turned around and winked at him. Awww man! You got the American girl to sit by you!!! Too bad she’s not interested and is two and a half years your senior, better luck next time, buddy. I didn’t mention the cat calls they have here: it’s just like calling in an animal with kissy lips… ew. After doing a set of problems like (2x-4)^2 I would ask my partner if my answers were correct and for the most part, they were. However, after the teacher showed the class the answer to the last problem I was confused because he completely missed the “x^2” so I asked my partner. He said, <<non, non, c’est comme ça>> (“no, no, it’s like this”) and he tried to explain the reason and after a few minutes realized that I was right. He raised his hand and corrected the teacher. Better him than I; the teacher already came up to me when I had finished the problems in a minute and said, “you look smug” because I had my arms crossed, I swear I wasn’t! I was just glad I understood something – that’s what he took as being smug and probably rightfully so. Even after the correction was made by my partner, I asked the teacher if the degrees should be in a better order and was again excited at my success! Math, I really don’t like you, but you saved my butt today and I thank you for that.

Then came GLORIOUS ENGLISH! The professor was kind of strict, but then again English is a detested subject for the students here because they only have an hour or two of English classes per week due to the block schedules. I understand her need to keep the reigns tight. Today was her first day as well and she loaded it on for my poor classmates: one hundred words in response to this question: What items would you place in a time capsule to represent our era? After hearing the worried whispers of my classmates, I turned around and told them to ask me if they had any questions and made some buddies. It was funny to see how the girl to my right make a gesture like plugging her nose to ask me the word for “smell” (not really sure why…). After our time was up and we counted our words, I had two hundred and you betchya I had a smile on my face the entire time. Then we had to write a few things about ourselves and because I am in love with English right now and want my professors to understand a little about me, I wrote more than enough to start a novel, thinking it would go directly to the teacher. I turned to the girl on my right in horror when I heard that our partners would be introducing us using that piece of paper! She looked downright scared, people. Like “I’m going to crawl under my desk” scared. I kept whispering to her to cut out half of it and she still looked like the teacher was going to chew her out. Luckily we got through one set of partners and the bell rang. Saved by the bell. Needless to say, I will now be a little sparser with my words. Keeping in mind that English is the worst class for my classmates, I went up to the teacher at the end of class and, in English, said that I’d like to do a presentation in English to the students in the English classes and she said she would ask the headmaster if that would be possible! Maybe then I can share a little bit about my life in Northfield.

Just a few more tidbits about my day, I swear, but it was just way better than the first day of school so I have to share it.

My friends, Emma, Sarah, and Mary hung out with me during our hour of free time where we went into the building to chill, or more like roast. They don’t have air conditioning - at least I don’t think so. But here’s a photo of all of us – yay! I have friends! (even though the best picture is one of Sarah and I, I promised it was only between us):

Some of my friends: Sara, Emma, and Mary :)
I also have to let you know about sports – I’m taking step, which is like walking up and down escalators (I think), ping pong, gymnastics, and hand ball. Completely random, but that’s what they offered. And my teacher is super cool so I think this will be fun!


Bisous,
Maggie



1 comment:

  1. 1. I told you that you would make friends :P
    2. Madge is definitely a you thing to do
    3. Don't worry about Spanish, I am sure you will pick it up fairly quickly- it is very similar to french (structure wise and a lot of cognates with French and English)
    4. I am glad you are excited to share about life back home and might get the opportunity to share it with everyone at school- I was forced to on my first day of school so my feelings were a bit different but I am happy for you!
    5. You will definitely make friends through English class (I have 3 English classes and have made a ton of friends from being able to help)
    6. So jealous of all of the sports you get to take
    7. I am glad your day was a lot better! Remember: "Live life to laugh and love"
    Love and miss you buddy

    ReplyDelete