Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Frenchified


I’m still waiting to wake up and find all of these wonderful people to be just figments of my crazy imagination (Kiana…) but the little culture differences have begun to make me realize my luck. First, my computer has been “frenchified” meaning google.com is no more – a more sophisticated and efficient version has been appearing on my computer, il s’appelle (it’s called) google.fr. All of the houses and buildings compliment each other in color and style similar to the Italian cities. No joke. All of the shampoo bottles and toothpastes are (surprise, surprise – what was I expecting?!) in French. I’ve maybe spoken three sentences of English upon my arrival and am now thinking in French. Granted I have been taking French since seventh grade and I’m pretty much obsessed because French is awesome, but that’s pretty amazing. I would bet anyone a warm croissant all the way from France that I could have written this entire post in French because in the beginning I was translating things from French to English. Heads I win, tails you lose.
            I think it’s impossible to bet against the luck I’ve been having lately. On my flight from Paris to Nice (final destination) I thought I was going to have a window seat with two extra seats open next to me. That was kind of depressing. As I was about to fall asleep, a couple came down the aisle in a rush and sat next to me. It wasn’t until I started to nod off when the woman tapped me on the shoulder to inform me that the flight attendant was serving drinks. I hadn’t been feeling very well and my stomach was, and still is, in knots so I declined and said <<merci>>. I stayed awake after that hoping to get to know the woman and her husband but not wanting to be the pushy American. However, every once in a while I would see them look over at my rotary blazer and I was becoming hopeful. I forget how we started to talk, but I remember them asking me if I was English and I said that I was American but in the most English accented French! That was completely weird but they didn’t seem to mind and I was so tired that I couldn’t have cared less. After our conversation I rested my eyes but continued to hear them moving around and writing stuff down probably for their next flight or destination. I was utterly astonished and my breath was taken away by their compassion when Nadia turned to me with a business card that had their cell phone and home phone numbers written on the back. Nadia told me to call her if I had any problems and to come and visit her and her husband in Cannes whenever I was around. Can I just say that I could have cried out of happiness and would not have cared one bit because I had some people who cared about me already (not including my host family although I hadn’t met them yet). Going with my instincts and excitement to share my culture with them, I opened a scrapbook that I brought along just in case this happened. They were astonished when I showed them a picture of when I threw hot water in the cold Minnesotan air and it exploded, as was my family when I shared the book with them as well! Even after we had to get our leave the plane, Nadia and her husband looked back to check on me and it made me so excited to meet my real host parents.
            On my way to the baggage claim I saw some people with a rotary sign who looked at me excitedly. But since I was on the other side of the border I smiled and shrugged my shoulders meaning “I have no idea if I’m your exchange student but I’m talking to you regardless when I get my bags because you look really nice!” It turns out that I had seen my host mother and the wife of my district officer who were accompanied by my district officer, Fatou and her sister Amy (I’m spelling her name wrong but I’ll correct that soon!), and my host sister, Lucie. I think you will all be pleased to know that I did NOT screw up <<les bis>> or the kisses and it wasn’t awkward J.
            Right off the bat I was trying to speak French, after having some excellent practice with Nadia and her husband on the plane. I was happy because both Nadia and my new host family understood me and complimented me on my French! After an hour long ride on crazy French roads where things are in perfect harmony and chaos at the same time with lots of conversation in between on culture differences, I arrived at my new home. IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL! I don’t feel out of place even though it’s very different. They think that it’s small, but I think that it’s perfect and completely adorable! There’s a bathroom separate from the toilet, large living room, an outdoor kitchen which is gorgeous and always smells wonderful thanks to Simone, my host mother’s fantastic cooking. I have my own room that I am now fully established in and I have more than enough space. One thing that I appreciate is the use of space here. Things are more compact but perfectly portioned. Even the gelato is in smaller dosages but it’s all the better if you want a few flavors.
            Flavors – les goûtes – the gelato, nutella crêpes, fish, meat, figs, peaches, chocolate mousse yogurt things, tomato salad – I can’t get enough of it! My stomach is still not used to a lot of food right now, but I’m still trying all of the yummy food that my host family has to offer me. I gave Simone a packet of wild rice and she made a wonderful white rice and wild rice dish that had some French/African flare to it.
            One thing that made me happy today was giving my family gifts (I’m including Fatou, Amy, and their mother, Claire, as family) and sharing stupid stereotypes, candy, and stories. These people are amazing. They knew exactly what to ask and repeated questions when I couldn’t understand – <<Mah-gee, do you want to go to sleep? Go to the beach? Skype your parents? Eat some food?...>> I am so grateful for their questions because at that point I had no idea what I wanted.
            Once I had my bearings and took a nap (they were also kind enough to wake me up so that I would be able to sleep through the night) my other host sister, Mary, Amy, Fatou, Lucie, and I went to <<La Mer>> or “the sea”. We basked in the sun (I am going to either burn to a crisp or come back incredibly dark), talked, took pictures, and stepped into the Mediterranean Sea. It’s so blue! They think it’s cold but I told them about Lake Superior and that they are so lucky to have a beach so close! After <<se baigner>> or “swimming” which was more like chillin’, we ate nutella crêpes, and banana and mango gelato. Yummmm! And just in time for supper haha! That’s not normal, but today was a special day so dessert before supper was fine by me.
            Before supper I was able to meet my host father, El Hadj. He is so incredibly nice! I am excited to start fitting into the Gueye family routine and for each day that I will spend with them in the future. Tomorrow, or in seven hours, I will be getting ready for a four-hour hike in the mountains! I was able to catch a breathtaking view of the mountainous skyline illuminated by the sunset tonight. Wow. I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.
            Until next time and bonne nuit (goodnight),
            Maggie
"welcome to France"

I just wanted to show the time difference... it was so tiring!

At the beach for the first time!

La mer (the sea)

first crêpe and gelato - they're as good as everyone says they are :)

Hiking up in the mountains - post coming soon

A view from about halfway up the mountain
A view from the top of the mountain (I also met a family with two little girls who were really curious about me being an American and speaking French :)

My friend Amy and my host sister, Lucie

The mountain has three crosses on the top of it dedicated to three artists from French, Italian, and Spanish origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment